The Global Future Council on Cities and Urbanization aims to identify and understand the systemic problems encountered by cities and how to best apply solutions in the context of the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
The initiative will collate best practices, including cross sectoral city data to identify and analyse the systematic impacts resulting from urbanization and demonstrate that cities are living, breathing organisms that operate as systems of systems. It will seek to demonstrate solutions in the form of:
1) Innovative technologies for the planning, design, delivery and operation of smart and resilient infrastructure and urban services
2) New business models and opportunities emerging from rapid urbanization and the Fourth Industrial Revolution
3) New models of city regulation and governance (the future of city states) required in the context of the Fourth Industrial Revolution
4) New financial instruments and investment models to enable urban infrastructure and services to be delivered in tandem with development
5) New engagement models that embrace civic participation and social inclusion in urban societies
Alice Charles, Community Lead, Infrastructure and Urban Development Industry, Global Leadership Fellow, Alice.Charles@weforum.org